The Shasana basadi is so called from the Shasana or the inscription setup conspicuously at its entrance. The temple consists of a Garbagriha and an open sukhanasi or antarala with the navaranga attached to it. The walls above the plinth are built of brick or mortar. The cell is dedicated to Adinatha, the first tirthankara, whose image is flanked by the male chamara bearers. The figures of Gomukha and Chakreshwari, the yaksha and yakshi of this Jina, are placed in the navaranga. The outer walls are decorated with pilasters above which are the friezes and ornamental niches containing Jina figures here and there. The inscription on the pedestal of the image states that the temple was caused to be erected by the general Ganga Raja, its name being Indirakulagriha. He granted the village of Parama which he received from the king Vishnuvardhana in 1118 A.D. as a reward for the valour shown in the battle fought at Kannegal against the Chalukya emperor Tribhuvanamallapermadi and his twelve samantas. The basadi was probably built in 1117 A.D. There is also a figure of Gandabherunda or two headed eagle below the caves. The temple is called so due to the presence of Shasana (an inscription).